Wednesday, June 20, 2007

For the Love of Vintage

I'm obsessed with, and have always been, Old Stuff. I majored in Art History, that was an amazing four years of looking at and writing about Old Stuff. I like things that have had many owners and "seen" eras come and go. Antique or vintage or ancient I love it all.

I am fortunate enough to have some truly amazing vintages pieces via my late Great Aunt Gertie. I have her wooden ironing board, some of her tablecloths, some of her costume jewellery, her kitchen chairs, a pink dinnerware set, and some dainty teacups. I wish I had more of her Old Stuff. Perhaps this is why I love vintage stuff so much, I miss her and this Stuff reminds me of her. Her Old Stuff was the subject of an entire semester of artwork, the Gertie Series, if you will. Think Wayne Thiebaud and his cakes and pies-ah, he deserves his own post.

I'm certainly no purist, though. Anything that even looks vintage or is reminiscent of something vintage gets me too. Take for example my large collection of pink KitchenAid, not actual vintage, but that 1950s light pink...*drool*...or reproduction fabric, I dig it. Here are some of my favorites:

FabricAttic.com





FashionFabricsClub.com


And, of course, ReproDepot.com!
I'd push people out of the way for this fabric...



No comments: