Thursday, June 7, 2007

Enemy Territory



It is hard for me to admit this as a Red Sox fan, but touring Yankees Stadium for an Uncle's 60th birthday party was awesome. I married a New Yorker and fortunately he did not inherit the Yankee Fan gene, the rest of this family however...

Two of the more thrilling parts of the tour was being able to sit in the dugout and visiting the club house. This was the weekend the Yankees were in Boston, so I'm not sure if the locker room looks any different when the players are at home. The lockers were surprisingly personal, Mussina apparently reads Field & Stream magazine (Husband remarks, "I read that!"); according to his locker contents Matsui uses Speed Stick deodorant and is a very neat and orderly individual. I really wanted to see both Jeter's lockers, one for him, one for his fan mail, but it was in the back (we were smooshed in a small area separating us from the lockers by means of those nylon "velvet ropes").

Considering the fact that this historical stadium will be torn down soon I am happy I was able to see it. Whether Yankees fan or not one cannot help but be a little bit in awe of the Greats that have played in the "House that Ruth Built".


No comments: